Friday, June 28, 2013

Welcome to My Obsession

Hi, I’m Heather and I’m a model horse collector. If the term means nothing to you, it would probably be best if you just backed away slowly without making eye contact. Trust me. If you thought, “Oh cool, me, too!”, you’ll feel right at home here.



I’ve been collecting since I was 8 years old and rather than growing out of it the way my parents hoped I would, my interest in the hobby grew, as did my collection. I actively collect, I’ve been a live show judge for many years, I’m rather passively involved in online photo showing, and I've been known to occasionally commit acts of customization on hapless model horse bodies.

For a couple of years now I’ve been struggling with the redesign of my website; I wanted it to be more than just an online version of my collection database, but I got bogged down in the details – variations, special runs, regular runs, groups, pairs, sets, how much to say in the history section, how much to discuss on an image-by-image basis – then after much hair pulling and a period spent whimpering in a corner I decided to take a break from the project for a while.

Recently, while gently blowing the dust off of a few lines of Stablemates, the thought finally occurred: why am I trying to reinvent the wheel? Why not abandon a site which is time consuming to keep up-to-date and take the pictures and information I had assembled and feed it to a blog?

So here we are. Since Stablemates make up the bulk of my collection and were the main source of my redesign frustration, I’ll focus on them here. I may decide to branch out into the other scales and brands at a later time, but for now, I’m just going to stay small.

The information presented here is based on study of the yearly catalogues, various printed collector guides, issues of JAH, hobby gossip, reference sites such as Model Equus and Identify Your Breyer, and personal experience. If you spot a error or would care to expand upon a topic, please feel free to leave a comment or email me; I’m always happy to learn more about the hobby.

If this is the first you’ve heard about model horse collecting, Breyer‘s website has a fairly informative hobby section.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am glad you started a blog, but sorry it took me so long to find it. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete