Friday, January 24, 2014

Profile: G1 Thoroughbred Lying Foal #5701

Regular Run Stablemate Assortment
#5701 Thoroughbred Lying and Standing Foals
1975-76


Though the Standing Foal from this set comes in as wide a range of sock variations as you can get with four legs, this guy was slightly more limited. While sock variations do exist (the example of #5701 in the fourth edition of Nancy Young's collector's guide has hind socks), the socks are restricted to the hind legs and most likely only come in pairs. It is more common to find the solid black Lying Foals though they can come in a range of finishes.

While looking at these pictures I thought my model might be chalky, but after doing a little scrape test on his underside, I decided he was just quite matte with a rather thick coat of paint. Can't win them all :)

2 comments:

  1. Alway cute those little ones!
    I'm quite sure the one I use to have as a kid had two socks on the hind legs, such a pity all my oldies got cleared out at some point in time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the two sock version for the lying foal and my standing one has four. BTW, I enjoy your blog and have gotten some good information from it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete