The 1998 July/Aug issue featured images of the full 1998 Singles Assortment, as well as announcing an exciting special run. The full-colour picture showed not just a handful of new molds but twelve (including the three from the special run set) dynamic molds in a variety of breeds by the talented and popular Kathleen Moody!
While the G1 molds had names which were uniformly used, the G2 names could vary a bit, especially in the early days of the mold when there was a certain amount of anarchy when it came to the mold names. Eventually the hobby came to an informal majority agreement, though a few name variations are still in use. The most commonly used mold names are as follows:
- American Saddlebred - also Saddlebred or Saddlebred Mare
- Paso Fino
- Prancing Morgan - also Morgan (Prancing) or Park Morgan
- Rearing Arabian - also Arabian (Rearing)
- Standardbred - also Pacer
- Stock Horse - also Appaloosa
- Shetland Pony - also Pony
It took quite a while for the new assortment to hit the stores - I stalked my local shop without any luck until December 17, 1998; my JAH special run set appeared on my doorstep less than a week later.
The Assortment released in 1998 only featured nine of the new molds, plus three G1 models:
- American Saddlebred - palomino with painted braids
- Rearing Arabian - white grey
- Mule - varnish leopard appaloosa
- Clydesdale - bay
- Andalusian - dapple grey
- Stock Horse - buckskin blanket appaloosa
- Warmblood - bay
- Shetland Pony - black tobiano
- Thoroughbred - chestnut.
The G1 models in the assortment were a chestnut tobiano Saddlebred, grey frame Quarter Horse Stallion, and a flea-bitten grey Arabian Mare. In 1999 these G1 models were replaced with the three previously unreleased G2 molds - chestnut roan Standardbred, bay/chestnut Paso Fino, and a flaxen liver chestnut Prancing Morgan.
This 100% G2 assortment was available through 2002 when it was replaced the next year by a new assortment.
This group consisted mainly of G2 molds with one lonely G1 Saddlebred in black tobiano. The rest of the assortment contained:
- American Saddlebred - red chestnut
- Warmblood - bay dun blanket appaloosa
- Standardbred - dapple grey
- Rearing Arabian - black
- Paso Fino - dapple grey
- Clydesdale - white grey
- Stock Horse - chestnut/bay
- Andalusian - dark bay
- Prancing Morgan - palomino
- Thoroughbred - chestnut sabino
- Shetland Pony - palomino
Around the end of 2005 the G1 Saddlebred was replaced by the American Saddlebred in the same colour.
The 2003 assortment was available until the end of 2006.